A Chasing Cairns Original Recipe
Serving Size: 10-12 cookie butter truffles
- 12-15 pitted, Medjool dates
- 2 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil, DIVIDED
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup Speculoos Cookie Butter
- 1 heaping cup dairy-free bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
- If your dates aren’t sticky and super moist when squeezed, soak in hot water for 10-15 minutes to soften. Then drain thoroughly and pit. Otherwise, just pit and add to food processor.
- Add 1 tbsp melted coconut oil, vanilla, cookie butter, and mix. If it’s not quite combining, drizzle in warm water a little at a time – 1 tsp – scraping down sides as needed, and mix until a rough paste or ball forms. If you add too much water it will be difficult to handle them later as they won’t freeze up well.
- Lastly, add 3/4 tsp sea salt and mix once more to incorporate. Taste and adjust saltiness level if desired.
- Freeze for 30 minutes or until no longer warm and pliable enough to scoop into balls.
- Using a small melon baller or a Tablespoon and finger, scoop out small balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for another 20-30 minutes to set.
- Warm the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments with remaining 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- Remove truffles from freezer and, using a fork, scoop truffles up and quickly immerse in chocolate, using a small spoon to drizzle chocolate evenly on top. Then gently shake off excess chocolate and place back on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Top with a small sprinkle of sea salt (optional), and repeat until all truffles are coated.
- Place back in freezer or fridge to set – about 30 minutes. Serve straight from the freezer or fridge. Let set out for 15-20 minutes to soften. Store in a freezer-safe container in the fridge or freezer to keep fresh. Makes about 24 truffles.