When I first started piecing this blog together, I did not worry at all about where I pulled my images from. I tried to take some of my own pictures, but they never looked as good as I had hoped. Initially, it was all about the visual appeal of the posts, so I opted for cleaner images that weren’t necessarily mine to use. As the scope of the blog expanded, so did the need for images. Once I had set up the most current framework for the blog, I realized that I had pulled dozens of images from all over the internet, none of which were mine to use. Panicked, I did some research about copyright infringement and personal blogs. As my blog was not yet public, I wasn’t worried about any repercussions, but I knew I wanted to take it public eventually.
Over the next few months, I will be transitioning all the images on my site from copyrighted materials to public domain images or pictures that I take myself. I have no doubt that this process will be a tedious one, but it will also make my work truly mine. To me, that is worth the extra effort.