Serving Size: 6 filling bowls of chili
- 29 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- salt and pepper to taste
- avocado, cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium low heat.
- Add onions, and cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 10-12 minutes).
- Add the garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Your kitchen should be starting to smell heavenly.
- Add the premixed tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beans, stock, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the quinoa.
- Continue cooking for about 20 minutes – 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until quinoa and potatoes are cooked and the chili has thickened.
To test whether or not the chili is ready, taste a chunk of sweet potato every couple of minutes and keep checking the quinoa to see if it looks spirally. This chili is very thick. Add a bit of water if the chili becomes too thick for your liking. Top with avocado and chopped cilantro.